Creating a Blog Inverness
Creating a Blog
Creating a BlogAuthor: Michelle Dale
Creating a blog is one of the most important tasks a Virtual Assistant will ever undertake. It is the very first thing that most people will see of your business; therefore, it's critical that you should avoid getting it wrong. Making it elaborate and complicated is completely unnecessary. At this stage, you shouldn't have to spend money on getting someone else to set it up on your behalf, because everything you need is easily available, largely at no cost to the user.
The one thing that I would suggest, if this is going to be your main web presence as a Virtual Assistant, then you should have your own Hosting Package and a domain name that mirrors your business name, or as near as you can get it. The process that you need to go through when starting your blog is:
First of all, before you begin, here is a big warning: Keep your site clean and simple, clarity is everything! Ensure that the site is easy for your users to get around, so that they can quickly find what they're looking for. It can be a fully optimised/cutting edge site with all the bells and whistles, but make sure it looks slick.
1. The first thing to do is to pursue some keyword research around the topics you are going to talk about on your blog. From this you can identify the most optimised names for the blog.
2. Your next step is to research the blog platform that you are going to use. There are many options out there, from the likes of WordPress.org - the Moveable Type for the self hosted option, or the likes of WordPress.com , Typepad, Blogger, Blogspot or Blogsmith for hosted platforms. The things you really need to make sure that you do are:
∗ Use a platform that is widely supported by a very active community.
∗ Use something that is portable, and always keep a back up should anything go wrong.
∗ Go with the most flexible option you can find so that you can easily customize your blog.
∗ Look to the future and try and see how your blog may evolve, and make sure that the option you choose will evolve with you.
3. Once you have chosen the platform, sign up using one of the optimised names that you chose for the blog, or install the site onto your own domain.
4. Choose the template that you want to use, and make sure that:
∗ It 's appropriate to your topic.
∗ You fully customise it with headers, pictures, buttons and so on to make your blog stand out.
∗ The end result suits your style and brand.
5. Once you have completed this see what else you are able to add to your site, i.e. available widgets and plug-ins.
6. When you're comfortable with the general style, you should add some posts to get a good idea of how the blog will appear once users start to interact with it. Once you've done this, make any tweaks necessary to improve the appearance and layout.
7. When you are happy with the overall look you can then publish your blog.
Maintaining your blog can be a bit of a challenge as you really need to post at least once a week, two or three quality posts would be better. You need to be providing something that visitors will want to come back for - and encourage these users to sign up to your feed.
Don't forget that this is a business blog and you're showcasing your corporate image, so keep the tone amicable, as you want to convey your individuality whilst remaining professional. Don't mix business with pleasure on your site, and as you don't want to alienate anyone, try to keep away from any kind of controversial topics.
Michelle Dale is The Managing Director of Virtual Miss Friday, an accomplished Executive Virtual Assistant Service which helps companies of all sizes reach their commercial targets. Want to get more information about online business building success strategies that really work? Then why not get involved with the Campaign for FREE Virtual Assistance now!